Brockholes Arms Auction Mart Ltd. was formed in 1927 by a consortium of Farmers on its present site, by taking on a Lease of twenty one years from the Landlord Major Fitzherbert Brockholes. Sales commenced in May of that year. The Market was officially opened by Mr. Fitzherbert-Brockholes on 20th March 1928. On 18th October 1948 it was agreed by the Directors to purchase the land which Major Fitzherbert Brockholes offered to the Market for the sum of £450.00. Since the incorporation of the Market the Auction has been run by a Board of Directors and is owned by Shareholders, the main of which are farmers. About five years ago the Market acquired approximately two and a half acres of land and planning permission has been granted to convert the majority of this area into car parking for the Auction.
Over the years the Market has held regular Shows and Sales including Prime stock, stores, calves, dairy on Tuesdays and OTM cattle on Wednesday. Show and sales of Store Lambs, Gimmer Lambs, Breeding Sheep and Tups are held regularly through the From August to November. Twice yearly Machinery Sales are held in the Spring and Autumn and Dressed Poultry Sales at Christmas. Following the re-opening of the Market in 2002 and the closure of Preston Auction Market there has been a large increase in trade. Customers are travelling from Kirkby Stephen the North and to the South of Manchester.
Over the past ten years building work has taken place to extend the premises and the final phase is nearing completion. Work on the car park at the rear of the Auction is hopefully going to be completed within the next few months.
The current Directors of the Market are Chairman – David Hargreaves, Vice Chairman – John Singleton, Company Secretary – Richards Eccles
Directors – John Thompson, Richard Ayrton, Tom Garlick, Paul Mason, Robert Fryars, David Thistlethwaite, Bill Myerscough and Andrew Clarkson
The Market currently employs approximately twenty staff, mainly on a part time basis, as stock numbers have drastically increased over the past few years. Richard Furnival and James Fish of Armitstead Barnett, are employed as Auctioneers at the Market.